Sunday, July 29, 2012

The Selection

 Hardcover, 327 pages
Published April 24th 2012 by HarperTeen
 

ISBN:0062059939 (ISBN13: 9780062059932)

Edition language: English

Series:The Selection #1

 
For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in the palace and compete for the heart of the gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself- and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.
Reading The Selection by Kiera Cass was like... Falling onto a giant bed with a feather comforter.. covered in far too many feather pillows. It felt wonderfully indulgent, comforting. Like I was being papered.. Does that make sense? I felt like.. such a girl! That statement is in no way meant to be a complaint. I loved every moment of it. 


I sank into the story and sighed. Indulging my girly side by imagining each and every beautifully detailed gown. Smiling over America and Mason's witty banter. Holding my breath as Mason made his decisions, shaking my finger at him *in my head of course* as he made wrong ones. And anxiously awaiting how it all played out. 


Kiera Cass created a story that allowed my to not only give in to my girly side, but also fed my need for intrigue and action. Before reading The Selection, I had heard the phrase " The Hunger Games meets The Bachlor. " and I have to admit.. it deterred me... a lot. But having now read the story, I understand the comparison.. and while I am not a fan of the TV show The Bachelor. I understand, and it is actually part of the story that I really enjoyed. 

In the midst of the "game" a war is going on.. and every once in a while. The fighting slips through the castle walls. At times like this I enjoyed seeing which of the "contestants" held their own. Who stood up strong and held their head up as a future queen should, and who crumbled. I also liked that this aspect of the story shows us more of Mason the future King, instead of just, Mason the guy who could have any girl he chooses.

I wouldn't say that the " Hunger Games " feel is super strong in this story.. but a slight vibe is there. In The world of The Selection, the people are broken up into classes, not just the rich and the poor, but they are actually numbered! 1 being the highest and consisting of the Royal family. 8 being the lowest and consisting of the cleaning people and servants. Each level has their part to play. America is a 5, an Artist. But in The Selection changes all of that. Any Caste can participate and have a chance to, not only win the Princes heart, but take her and her family to the top, and become a 1. 

My one real negative.. or more just... what I wanted more of. Was the world building. I was really interested in the castes, and wanted to learn more about them and what each caste's role was. I feel that that part was left mostly untouched, and I hope Kiera Cass visits it more in the next books. 


America never forgets who, or what caste she is, throughout the selection. And it begins to work into her favor... but then.. if I told you how.. I would be giving away too much of the story ;) 

I feel like I could keep typing. I want to spend hours telling you all that I loved about this story.. But basically I just need to tell you - GO READ IT FOR YOURSELF ! 

The Selection is full of romance and drama, if that's not what you like in a book, it may not be for you. But at the same time, it's not what I went in craving, and at the end of the book I was smiling and satisfied. Indulge a little, let yourself sink into The Selection, swoon, laugh, cry.... and watch as it all unfolds. 




Rating 5/5




10 comments:

  1. This sounds so good! I almost bought this at the bookstore, but I got another book! :P Great review, you've really made me want to read this book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Success! Make sure it's on your list for your next bookstore visit! :D Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  2. I have been hesitant about reading this book, but after reading your review I will give it a try as soon as I can get my hands on it! Great review and awesome blog!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that you get swept away just like I did :D Thanks for the great feedback!

      Delete
  3. Loved your review - I felt the same way! I can't wait for The Elite to come out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously o.O That ending.. I was like.. NO I NEED MORE.

      Delete
  4. Great review! I have a copy of this one, but haven't had a chance to read it yet. I've heard a lot of mixed reviews so I'm looking forward to reading it & finding out what it's like for myself, but I'm trying to save it for when I need a girly book. :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to see you really enjoyed this book! I don't think I've ever seen such a girly side of you ;)
    Sadly, I didn't like this book as much as you did, and think the reason was because there wasn't much of world building and such. Though, this really usually-silent part of me was really diggin' the dresses, too. And I really loved the relationship between Maxon and America.
    Can't wait to see what will happen in The Elite!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi sweetheart <3
    I totally agree with your review. I really loved this book but I was also expecting more world building. Like you, I was very interested about the castes too and I wish I cold have seen a bit more of the world outside the palace. Regardless that, I love the story!! it totally did it for me! <33 Im so excited for the CW show =9 kyaaaaaa!

    Wonderful review!!!

    Btw,I just saw your tweet about the swag giveaway!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! Im SO late sniff!! T___T.... I never got a mail notification and I never saw the tweet. sniff. So bad, because I always check my mentions on tweeter to reply to peplo, but I never saw yours. whcih totally sucks. I totally understand if Im too late. T_T

    Thanks so much anyways Michelle!

    Happy reading ^.^

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh man, I'm the opposite of you. I did not like The Selection at all. It was cliche, it was boring, obvious, and totally expected. However I understand the bit about being such a girl reading this novel :P but HG feel? every new dystopian is labeled that now! Nonetheless, great review, i know the readers of this book are split in half. Love it or Hate it. I just really wanted MORE from this book but it sort of took teeny bits from everywhere.

    - juhina @ Maji bookshelf

    ReplyDelete

I love comments :) Feedback,recommends, you name it !