Monday, September 23, 2013

Shadows by Paula Weston

Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Text Publishing
Release date:  July 2nd, 2012
Series: Rephaim #1
Edition: Ecopy
Genre: Young Adult/ Paranormal Fantasy
Rating: 4/5



It’s almost a year since Gaby Winters was in the car crash that killed her twin brother, Jude. Her body has healed in the sunshine of Pandanus Beach, but her grief is raw and constant. It doesn’t help that every night in her dreams she kills demons and other hell-spawn.

And then Rafa comes to town. Not only does he look exactly like the guy who’s been appearing in Gaby’s dreams—he claims a history with her brother that makes no sense. Gaby is forced to accept that what she thought she knew about herself and her life is only a shadow of the truth—and that the truth is more likely to be found in the shadows of her nightmares.

Who is Rafa? Who are the Rephaim? And most importantly, who can she trust?

Fast-paced and gripping, Shadows, the first book in the Rephaim series, is a standout paranormal romance for fans of Richelle Mead and Cassandra Clare.


Yes, this is another book about angels and nephilim.  I truly didn't think that there were that many books about angels out there but I stand corrected by my latest reading selections.  I have read 3 angel-nephilim books in the last month!  Still, this is a good addition to the angel YA genre. It is very similar to what is in the current YA angel subgenre but I still really liked it, it just didn't blow my mind. I don't know if anything can top Becca Fitzpatrick's Hush, Hush series for me!

The beginning of the book was extremely confusing and consequently hard to attach myself to the story.  However, after a few chapters I was able to get a good grasp of the setting and characters and really enjoy the book.  I felt very confused for Gaby and wasn't sure where the story would end up for her.  The plot goes beyond just angels and nephilim, there are demons!  I always like a mix of supernatural characters!  I thought the angel mythology was also really thought out and contained very few plot holes.  I will be reading the second book in the series as soon as I have a moment!

I would recommend this book to anyone that loves nephilim stories. If you liked Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick than this book is right up your alley.  It has an interesting twist on the whole fallen angel theme and was quite a fast read.  Like I said earlier it was a good book but not something that deserves a 5/5.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments :) Feedback,recommends, you name it !