Thursday, January 12, 2012

Shade

Hardcover, 309 pages
Published May 4th 2010 by Simon Pulse 

 Love ties them together. Death can't tear them apart. 

Best. Birthday. Ever. At least, it was supposed to be. With Logan's band playing a critical gig and Aura's plans for an intimate after-party, Aura knows it will be the most memorable night of her boyfriend's life. She never thought it would be his last.

Logan's sudden death leaves Aura devastated. He's gone.

Well, sort of.

Like everyone born after the Shift, Aura can see and hear ghosts. This mysterious ability has always been annoying, and Aura had wanted nothing more than to figure out why the Shift happened so she can undo it. But not with Logan's violet-hued spirit still hanging around. Because dead Logan is almost as real as ever. Almost.
It doesn't help that Aura's new friend Zachary is so understanding—and so very alive. His support means more to Aura than she cares to admit.

As Aura's relationships with the dead and the living grow ever complicated, so do her feelings for Logan and Zachary. Each holds a piece of Aura's heart...and clues to the secret of the Shift.

How to explain this book..... ?

*Exciting
*Romantic
*Haunting
and Simply wonderful !

I picked up this book at the library on a whim, I saw the cover, it intrigued me. Simple as that. I had no idea that I would be diving into a book that would leave me with chills and wanting more.

The characters are to die for * haha cause she sees ghosts, get it?..... * No really. I seriously connected with them. Aura was a wonderful character with a strong personality. Logan, her boyfriend, is one I had a love/ hate relationship with. And Zachary.. oh that wonderful and hilarious accent ! Seriously, I was busting up laughing at a few points. 


 “Where's your kilt?"
"How about this," he said in a low voice. "You don't ask me about haggis and bagpipes, and I won't ask you about garlic and Goodfellas.”

Yes, this story has a love triangle, but it worked. It wasn't : Girl who can't choose between Bad boy or new and endearing. All of the characters have their faults. And as for Aura not being able to choose. Well its understandable! Logan died, but she can still see and speak with him. Zachary is new, and yes endearing and interesting and there is a spark. But how do you move on, with your dead boyfriend still hovering around? 

 “Aura," he whispered, "I wish I could wipe away just one of your tears. Then I'd
feel like a person again. Like I'm something more than a bunch of light.”



This story had places it could have easily veered off and became "fluff". But it didn't. In fact it simply got stronger and more interesting.


What would it be like to see ghosts? To be able to help them move on, or watch as they turn to shades. This story will answer some questions, as well as leave you for more! Thankfully, there is a book #2 :) And I CANNOT wait to see what happens with these characters next.


If you like strong "ghost stories" with a mix or romance and other fantasy aspects this is one to pick up. I passionately recommend it! Keep in mind this book does have some sexual content in it - nothing too graphic, but be aware.


Rating: 5/5
You May Also Like



 

4 comments:

  1. Sounds interesting; seeing ghosts and knowing they are hanging around would be more of a hassle than a blessing. Luckily, my library has this book! I should be getting my hands on this one in a few days. Good to see a YA book (I'm assuming it is?) that is not totally sex-negative for a change. I know it's a tricky subject for teens, especially teen girls, but better talked about than willfully ignored or subtly vilified like in some books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jazu - So happy your library has this one for you! mine does not have #2 and i'm shaking fists at them lol. and yes. It is YA. Please come back and share your feedback in the comments when you finish it! Even if it isn't your cup-o-tea, all feedback is welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely added to my reading list ! Thanks, Michelle. I'd never heard of this one before reading your review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Natasha - Wonderful! be sure to let me know what you think when you get around to it !

    ReplyDelete

I love comments :) Feedback,recommends, you name it !