Thursday, February 2, 2012

Cinder


Hardcover, 1st Edition, 390 pages

Published January 3rd 2012 by Feiwel & Friends 


ISBN: 0312641893 (ISBN13: 9780312641894)


edition language: English


original title: Cinder


Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. . . .

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must vcuncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.

As some of you probably noticed, I actually read this story weeks ago. So why hasn't a review been posted? The words, they just wouldn't come! 

Cinder is one of those stories that back in my borders bookselling days, I would find one of my loyal customers who I knew had my taste in books, walk up to them, put Cinder in their hands, and simply say " READ IT". I would not let them leave without it in their shopping bad. Seriously, I have that much confidence in it. 
Fairy tale re-tellings are a genre of mine that I simply cannot get enough of. Something that pulls us back to childhood memories, yet at the same time twists and turns in a compelling way that makes you think more and more about the different possibilities. Cinder screams re-telling awesomeness!

While the description of the book may feel VERY sci fi, really it is such a wonderful blend of so much more. Slight dystopia, historical feel, fairytale -esk and Sci fi, and fantasy/magic! The fact that Marissa Meyer can weave so much into this one story and still leave me reeling and aching for more, is something that not too many authors can pull off in my opinion. 
The characters are very easy to connect with: 

Cinder is strong willed and determined, as well as endearing when it comes to her nativity on relationships. 

Her  Droid Iko, who I could not get enough of! Seriously, A barrel of laughs! 

Prince Kai - oh prince Kai ..A literal prince charming :) You can't help but fall head over heels for him!  ( I also enjoyed the fact that it as not insta-love for Cinder and Kai, Marissa gives us a heartfelt romance that truly develops at an honest pace)

The evil stepmother/Legal guardian - can I dump a bucket of water on her and watch her melt? - oh wait, wrong story >.< She was just so cruel I kept waiting to see when Cinder would finally snap!

The stepsisters: - One horrid, though we don't get to spend too much time with her. And one, well, not evil at all! I loved Peony, she has a kind of lust for life and just, perkyness that I couldn't help but smile at. 

Then we have The Lunar queen - the queen of manpulation, and me wanting to reach though the book and strangle her. An awesome antagonist! 

Author Tidbit- Marissa Meyer Uses much Sailor moon and Firefly in her inspiration for Cinder  , How awesome is that! 
Have I hooked you yet? Are you drooling? 

The world created in Cinder is one that left me craving more and more. I cannot wait to see what's to come in the next books in the Lunar Chronicles : Scarlet ( book 2 ), Cress ( book 3) and Winter ( book 4 ) which will feature other fairy tale characters! Can you guess which ones?

Book Trailers are not for everyone- kinda a love em or hate em thing, they can be hit or miss for me but I found this one pretty intriguing! 

Rating: 5/5 


Also check out some of the Awesome Cinder Swag I got and WILL be sharing soon :) 

 The upper left corner are Stickers, then we have the back and front of some lovely bookmarks  ( more signed to use in giveaway ) and then we have a signed bookplate and Cinder mirror  I won at her book signing! - sorry folks, that last one i'm keeping >.< !

Check back with the blog regularly to see when the swag giveaway is going on!
You may also like:  

38 comments:

  1. Now that you've mentioned it, I have to check out Cinder to find if I can recognize any hint of Sailor Moon LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She said after finishing she went back and could recognize them in alot of the characters :) I think it's fun, shows us her cool geeky side!

      Delete
  2. This book is next up on my TBR pile. I can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It really did Sailor Moon meets evil scientist feel to it then add some fairy tale magic back. =) Definitely on my reading list after re-read of Dark Hunters. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHA I was thinking of re reading series soon too ! or at least Archeron.. I think I need to buy a second cover!

      Delete
  4. I love the cover and i would love to read the story :) i'll order the book tomorrow <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cover love on this for sure! So excited that you are ordering it! hope you come back and tell me what you think !

      Delete
    2. I will for sure! :) i love reading books totally! And great review!

      Delete
  5. I read this one as soon as it came out but when I started I was actually quite skeptical! I loved it though and agree with so many of the things you said. The only problem with reading a book like this when it first comes out is the huge amount of time you spend waiting for the sequel. Gah! Why can't it just be out already???

    Good review though :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome review i def need to check this out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gosh, I can't wait to read Cinder! I've heard so many great things about this book. I think it is super cool that she uses Sailor Moon for inspiration. Thank you for the awesome review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic review! I absolutely loved Cinder and I LOVED how the author used her inspiration from Sailor Moon (my favourite childhood show).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ive been reading good things about Cinder and have it in my tbr pile ;) great review !!!

    kat

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's pretty exciting! Sounds like a great book. Can't wait to read it (eventually). I'm interested to see how Sailor Moon fits here...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVED Cinder, my favorite 2012 debut this year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVED this book almost as much as you did! Am a huge fan of the retelling of fairy tales that is suddenly all the rage! Am buying as many as I can for the library at school! Loved Briar Rose as well!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds like an awesome book and the cover is amazing! Can't way to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just keep reading really good things about this book and your review has just added to my interest in this title.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I loved this book, and were you my bookseller at Borders way back when and you put it in my hands, I would have come back and thanked you so much for it. It's a wonderful novel and I can't wait until the next book comes out!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I adored this book!! I had the opportunity to read this before it came out and I was absolutely thrilled. I ended up buying an actual copy of it when it hit shelves.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I havent got my copy yet but I cant wait to read it! Thanks for your reveiw!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have read Cinder and your rate and review? COULDN'T BE ANY BETTER! :) I gave it a 4/5 stars though . . .Cinder (the girl)was eh for me.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow this sounds amazing!! Definitely on top of my to-read!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love fairytale retellings - they're my favourite genre; are they even a genre - and now I'm staring at Cinder sitting on my shelf with longing. I've been excited for this book since I head about it at the end of last year and the more reviews I read, the more it cements my decision to just become a Marissa Meyer fan. Completely hooked.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I LOVED IT!! Best book i have read in 2012.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Omg, I LOVE fairy tale retelling, and loves that are not insta! I'm glad to hear its not ALL scifi, because I was kinda hesitating picking it up because of that.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Totally agree! I loved this book!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Gah! I tried to check this book out from my library but all the copies were gone...the other people must have read your review too and stolen the book before I could get a chance! I'll wait for it, though, it sounds worth it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I saw my library has this book. So i am definitely going to check it out. At first it didn't really seem like a book i would like. But now that i've seen so many people say they loved it. Well i am definitely going to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I cannot wait to get my copy! <3 Prince Kal <3

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great review! Cinder's sitting on my shelf and this makes me want to start it NOW.

    ReplyDelete
  28. All the reviews I've read (and there have been A LOT) say that Cinder is amazing :D
    Your review, however, is the only one that actually talks about the characters themselves, so thanks :)

    Definitely going on my TBR pile

    ReplyDelete
  29. Seriously, it's very much appreciated to have the well-developed relationship showcased rather than the insta-love that we all love to hate. I'm super excited about this one...it's another one making puppy eyes at me from my shelf!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh this review makes me want this book even more. I've never really read any fairytale retellings, but the moment I heard about this book, I knew I had to read it. I love that you really talk about the characters of the book and I like that you clarified the whole sci-fi aspect. I'm glad there's more to it as I've read reviews where they didn't like that part of it, but I still want to read this book! I also want to get to know Prince Kai. He sounds wonderful and I'm a sucker for princes. lol

    Awesome review! Thanks so much for your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  31. i've had this book on my tbr list since before it came out, but haven't read it yet. after reading your review, it might have to be my next read : ) i love reading your reviews because you do such a good job of introducing all the characters. thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Requested this one at the library. Only half of the hold list to go until it will be all mine (for 2-3 weeks)!!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I saw this at the bookstore but I didn't get it because I thought it was going to be too sci-fi. Good to know that it is not.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments :) Feedback,recommends, you name it !