Saturday, February 18, 2012

Starters


Hardcover, 368 pages
Expected publication: March 13th 2012 by Delacorte Books for Young Readers
ISBN: 0385742371 (ISBN13: 9780385742375)
Edition language: English
Original title: Starters
series:Starters #1

Callie lost her parents when the Spore Wars wiped out everyone between the ages of twenty and sixty. She and her little brother, Tyler, go on the run, living as squatters with their friend Michael and fighting off renegades who would kill them for a cookie. Callie's only hope is Prime Destinations, a disturbing place in Beverly Hills run by a mysterious figure known as the Old Man.

He hires teens to rent their bodies to Enders—seniors who want to be young again. Callie, desperate for the money that will keep her, Tyler, and Michael alive, agrees to be a donor. But the neurochip they place in Callie's head malfunctions and she wakes up in the life of her renter, living in her mansion, driving her cars, and going out with a senator's grandson. It feels almost like a fairy tale, until Callie discovers that her renter intends to do more than party—and that Prime Destinations' plans are more evil than Callie could ever have imagined. . . .

This is a situation where I will definitely say " Don't judge a book by it's cover:"  It's a bit cliche, but oh well it's true ! The cover of this book did NOT draw me in.. it kind of weirded me out to be honest, but after reading the book I understand it more and am glad I didn't pass it over.

I cannot deny my weakness for dystopian and futuristic stories . They are addicting and always make me think. Starters plopped itself right in the middle of all that and left my mind filled with thoughts. 

The characters were very interesting. Most of the time never purely good or evil. Though at moments I thought " You horrible elders! How dare you take advantage of a young persons body like that !" But then the way it's described ... if you were in your 80's so old and weak you could barely  hold yourself up.. what would you do? Given the chance to spend even a day, running around like you were in your prime again. Can you outright say you wouldn't give it a second thought? 

The plot held my attention well. Not to fast, not to slow, and just enough romance mixed with action and intrigue to keep me turning page after page.  

I have to be honest.. that's what reviewing  is all about right? So here is the deal, I didn't LOVE it. I liked it for sure. And when I first closed the page I was like " WOW" but now a few days later..  it isn't still floating around in my head like other dystopian books have done. In fact it's seeming hard for me to review other than simply saying, it was enjoyable, and I will continue to read more. However it's not a new favorite. 

Lissa Price is a debut author and for that I have to give her kudos. I KNOW this book will have fans, and I am interested in seeing what she continues to do in her writing career. 

 Rating: 3.5/ 5

You may also like :  

 
A tv show I HIGHLY recommend :D


3 comments:

  1. What a great, honest review. I think this sounds like a book I would definitely like. I think the cover is pretty interesting- the person looks haunted, so it does interest me. I also think the plot is unique. I am curious about this book and will probably read it. I am glad you liked it, even if it isn't still swirling around in your head. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I reviewed this for the Ambuzzadors program on Random Buzzers. The whole time I was reading it, it made me think about something but I couldn't put my finger on it. Now I know! Dollhouse! I miss Dollhouse so much! I wish they would of never cancelled it, it was really good and I love Eliza Dushku!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so excited to read this, I also seem to be addicted to dystopian books these days! I'm glad to read your honest thoughts, it's nice going into a book when it isn't constantly touted as the best book ever. Thanks for sharing :0)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments :) Feedback,recommends, you name it !