Friday, July 12, 2013

15 Day Book Blogger Challenge ( Day 5 )


5. Recommend a tear jerker. 



This book chronicles the unforgettable account of one of the most severe child abuse cases in California history. It is the story of Dave Pelzer, who was brutally beaten and starved by his emotionally unstable, alcoholic mother: a mother who played tortuous, unpredictable games--games that left him nearly dead. He had to learn how to play his mother's games in order to survive because she no longer considered him a son, but a slave; and no longer a boy, but an "it." Dave's bed was an old army cot in the basement, and his clothes were torn and raunchy. When his mother allowed him the luxury of food, it was nothing more than spoiled scraps that even the dogs refused to eat. The outside world knew nothing of his living nightmare. He had nothing or no one to turn to, but his dreams kept him alive--dreams of someone taking care of him, loving him and calling him their son.



This story is not for the faint of heart. Seriously. It is brutally honest, disturbing, and heartbreaking. If you are like me, you may want to close the book, walk away to a corner and just cry, but you can't. You will read till the last page, tears streaming the entire time. 




“Inside, my soul became so cold I hated everything. I even despised the sun, for I knew I would never be able to play in its warm presence. I cringed with hate whenever I heard other children laughing, as they played outside. My stomach coiled whenever I smelled food that was about to be served to somebody else, knowing it wasn't for me.”
Dave Pelzer, A Child Called "It"

2 comments:

  1. Any book by Lurlene McDaniel pretty much. I really like the Angels trilogy, but the ending makes me want to punch things. The rest of it is wonderful, though. Don't die, My Love is one of my favorites by her, too. And...well. She is just one of my favorite authors in general. A Rose for Melinda was sadness, as well.

    AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH.

    ♥Jessica(:
    Just a Booklover

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really not a fan of sad books lol. I mean, it pretty much tells you upfront YOU WILL CRY. I think I do enough of that on my own haha. Sometimes I need to break it up though, and sad ones make me really appreciate the ones that make me smile like a madwoman.

      Delete

I love comments :) Feedback,recommends, you name it !