Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Ten by Gretchen McNeil

Ten By Gretchen McNeil

Source: I recieved a copy of this book as a gift from a friend!
Publisher: Balzer + Bray ( Harper Collins )
Standalone
Edition: Ebook 304 pgs

Release date: September 18th 2012
Genre: Young Adult Contemporary/Thriller/Horror
Purchase: Amazon / Barnes & Noble / Book Depository*
Rating: 4/5

Description from Goodreads: 

SHHHH!
Don't spread the word!
Three-day weekend. Party at White Rock House on Henry Island.
You do NOT want to miss
it.


It was supposed to be the weekend of their lives—an exclusive house party on Henry Island. Best friends Meg and Minnie each have their reasons for being there (which involve T.J., the school’s most eligible bachelor) and look forward to three glorious days of boys, booze and fun-filled luxury.

But what they expect is definitely not what they get, and what starts out as fun turns dark and twisted after the discovery of a DVD with a sinister message: Vengeance is mine.

Suddenly people are dying, and with a storm raging, the teens are cut off from the outside world. No electricity, no phones, no internet, and a ferry that isn’t scheduled to return for two days. As the deaths become more violent and the teens turn on each other, can Meg find the killer before more people die? Or is the killer closer to her than she could ever imagine?


I'm a huge fan of horror movies. I love to jump, cover my eyes and cringe. My boyfriend laughs at me and thinks i'm silly, but to each their own. Ten was a great fit for me. I don't really get into contemporaries where there is no nitty gritty, where it's all about the romance and the friendships and fun times ... But kill a few people off? You've got my attention!

The characters in Ten were a perfect mix, all just a bit different. Since they all  came from different schools it helped add to the mystery because not only do YOU as the reader not know much about them, neither do the other characters. They each have unique personalities they helped them stand out , Meg was a bit of an outsider, the loner, It really helped me connect with her. At the few parties I was actually invited to at school I stayed to myself, off in my own little corner.. probably looking at the bookshelf lol. 

The Mystery/Horror element in Ten was very well done. Even though I was constantly trying to guess Whodunit , I always ended up wrong! I love being wrong in a mystery- it means the author/movie writer is doing their job well ;) Gretchen McNeil also does not shy away from the murders. They are .... inventive. ( If you could see my face right now it would be the look of " I give you props" ) 

Of course like any Horror movie there are moments of " You idiot don't go in there!" " BEHIND YOU" or " Ya sure, the killer is just going to wave and say Over Here!- when you ask "is anyone there?"" But that's one of the marks of a good horror for me. Gotta mock the stupid moves. 

Overall I really enjoyed Ten By Gretchen McNeil! I even have her other Novel Possess already purchased and waiting to be read! I loved her writing style that much and can't wait to see what else she has created! 

So go. Read. Play Sherlock Holmes and try to decode the riddle! 

Rating 4/5  


10 comments:

  1. I love when books keep me guessing! This one has been on my to-read list for a while. Glad to see you enjoyed it. Thanks for posting. :D

    ~Briana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I hope it jumps into your " Currently reading " list soon! ;) haha Thanks for dropping by!

      Delete
  2. This is one that I really wanted to read but totally forgot about. I've read the Agatha Christie book I think this is based off of and really loved it, so this one is on my TBR. I'm glad that you enjoyed it so much Michelle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See.. you do research. Or at least read things that I don't. I had no idea this was based off something else! Now I need to go check that out lol. Thanks for dropping by! ~ Chelle

      Delete
  3. I was totally wrong with the whodunit in this one too! I love when these type books keep you guessing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm not alone! Sometimes I wonder if I am the only one who didn't catch on to things lol. ~Chelle

      Delete
  4. Hi Michelle! Thanks for stopping by my blog the other day and leaving such a sweet comment, Sorry I am late in returning I have had a busy week. I really enjoyed this one too. The whole dark and stormy night setting on a deserted island was super creepy, and I was totally wrong too. Yes, and there were plenty of moments where you thought don't be stupid but they did it anyway and don't forget the big epic how I did it speech at the end by the killer, but no matter it was stil fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha what good whodunit story is without the how I did it speech!? Glad you enjoyed it too! ~Chelle

      Delete
  5. I've always had a guilty pleasure in crime stories. Lately I'm finally reading YA books that have that element. I've had this on my TBR list so I'm excited that it was really good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a mixed bag for me. My imagination runs wild. But it's also a guilty pleasure. Like with Law and order SUV! I love that show. But it is terrible and sad and makes me paranoid. But I always watch it! ~Chelle

      Delete

I love comments :) Feedback,recommends, you name it !